Monday, April 13, 2009

Crisis Management

So crisis management is the new term we are using this farm season. I got this great phrase from a farmer up in Bonners Ferry where we bought the steers and hay from. He says that farmers are always in a state of crisis management and that is so true! Just last week, the chick crisis,I was going to try to get some earlier layers at a local feed store that was having chick days on Thursday & Friday, that was a fiasco with the ones I wanted coming in early and being sold and the 2nd choice being sold out by the time I got there. Then the potato/onion crisis, my local feed store hadn't received them the week before last when I got my weekly feed, so I called this last week so my Honey when he was going to pick up my feed could get them. Well of course one variety of potatoes was sold out and they didn't have a variety of onions that I needed so I called another feed store had them put some aside for me and Honey picked them up for me on his way with my other feed. My regular feed store is assuring me my new layer chicks will arrive April 24 so I am trying to relax about the chick crisis.

Needless to say after the chick crisis last Friday I was a bit cranky, but came home to triplets from my oldest doe(goat) Mocha. They are the cutest babies ever!!!! If I was more computer literate I could post a pic. but not there yet lol. We have Milo, Mikey & Mia and they are doing fabulous! Made my day so much better! So the weekend went pretty well, got two projects done each day before the rain started so was happy about that. Just had a quiet Easter just the four of us, which was nice. Usually I do a big family party, but not feeling it this year.

So the new week begins with partly sunny skies, although rain is forecasted for this afternoon, just in time for the little kids soccer practice, which I said I would help coach. What was I thinking?
Do I look like a soccer player? Anyways, the crisis of the morning is that a barn cat ripped a hole in the greenhouse plastic and decided to have a party with some of my plant starts! I was not a happy camper this morning when I went to open it up! So doing a bit of paperwork, posting on my blog with my cup of tea before I go to clean up the mess, not too much mess but still enough work to make me mad and it wasn't on the list for today!!!!!!! Again, crisis management.

Hope to still dust, vacuum and clean the bathroom, we will see!
Here's to a better week ahead!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Toni, just wanted to say thanks for the nice comment you left over at my blog! That looks like a Pyr in your profile photo - we have one, too :) Congrats on the triplets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a Pyr, that was Mattie who we got two years ago with her brother. She was unfortunately a car chaser and met an early death last summer. Thank goodness her brother doesn't look at cars! We had a hard time keeping them in the pastures, they want to be at the house with us, go figure! Except Max does sleep at the barn at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phinney Hatchery went out of business and the other NW hatcheries are having a hard time keeping up with demand. It seems everyone wants to raise chickens this year, even in town. Usually the feed stores have lots of chicks but this year you have to put your name on what's coming weeks in advance. I ordered 19 meat chicks and 6 pretty layers from McMurray that are 3 weeks old now -- want to get them out on grass but the weather has been so stinky! Have 25 more meat chicks coming in July. I decided I need to invest in my "farm" (10 acres, 5 horses, a couple dozen chickens) more this year so I got the parts to build a Whizbang Plucker and hopefully will start that project this weekend. Wish me luck!

    Karen in Athol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how crazy the chick thing was this year, my supplier, Mary at Mary's Feed finally was able to order from the hatchery in New Mexico, but this spring was crazy for chicks! I finally have my chicks on schedule!

    ReplyDelete