Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Happy Spring

Oh my gosh, I think spring has finally sprung! We won't mention that we just had snow flurries last Friday! All of our snow is melted and yesterday was in the 60's and today is supposed to be a bit warmer, yeah!!!!!!!!! So farm life has settled down a bit, we hurried and built a new farrow pen out of an old horse stall since our other farrow pens (all four) which are on the north side of the barn all flooded. I can't imagine why with all the snow pack! So we took an old stall on the south side of the barn which has a wood floor and revamped it for farrowing, just in time I might add. We finished it Friday afternoon, moved Wilma our sow and by Saturday morning she was delivering! 6 live and 3 stillborn, but we still have 6 live ones! No roll-overs! That is what I call it when the sow accidentally lays on them which happens more that I would like. But hopefully with this new pen our mortality rate will decrease. We have 1 more to build but I have time, the other two sows aren't scheduled to deliver until June. Finally got the meat bird chicks, have had a few fatalities but that is expected. Also picked up 5 beef steers on Sunday, we have been a bit busy! Our biggest excitement last week, which was the kids spring break and my honey's week of vacation was that DD#2 Amanda came up and stayed a couple days on the farm. Nothing like having an adult child come home help out and hang out at the barn and have fun doing it! She is such a farm girl at heart. This week she is home prepping and planting her own garden, I taught her well, lol. Well need to get to the greenhouse, I am starting to move plants there from the basement as the temps. are getting a bit warmer. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment